Matt wrote:
> This question arose from using the TrueCrypt disk encryption software.
> When a file or folder is deleted from a file system, usually its just
> the link to that object that is deleted. Operating systems with a trash
> can/recycle bin facility record this deletion operation and allow for
> restoration of that object. So, if I have created an encrypted file
> system within a file and mounted it all using TrueCrypt and then deleted
> a file or folder within that encrypted volume, would the file still be
> encrypted? I want to say yes since the file is not actually moved into a
> trash (area which might not be in the encrypted volume), only a log of
> its deletion is kept there.
I know atleast for gnome that it creates a .Trash folder in the partition (a few exceptions exist to this rule) so you are good there, I dont know how windows or other DE handle their 'trash'.
The best thing to do ofcourse is just be certain and create a temp folder within the encrypted partition which you treat like a manual trash or avoid all this complication and just be sure when you
are deleting stuff.
- Eldo