Dan,
When you write "web monitoring," please be explicit with YOUR definition.  As a web site developer, the aforementioned phrase falls under an established nomenclature.  Consequently, I'm a wee confused about your question.  Firstly, please tell me your definition of web monitoring.

Cheers and beers,
Nong  (shamless self-proclaimed web developing guru and penguinista)

--
Impressive high School course work:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/94299/High_School_Star_Wars_Duel.html?rh=1488