If I after getting into "grub edit>" or "grub>" (depending on if I
pressed "e" or "c") and tried "setup <TAB>" I would obtain "Error 1:"
and something about a blocklist... if I tried "find /boot/" I get "Error
15: File not found"... However, when I woke up this morning I randomly
placed hd3,0 as my root and it worked.   So... At least now I know to
try all of the (hd#,0) combinations, where # is up to the number of
drives I have.

If there is still a good method to determining the root disk without
playing the guessing game please let me know :)

~Mark Oden