Siteprobe.com has a free option that checks once per hour, and they've got
a decent privacy policy and dont spam you much.

The free service is limited, but does have a nice feature that if they detect
your site is unavailable, they will try again from another server in a different
location before sending an alert.

The only thing is, they require  free account users to log in to their web site
at least once a month to stay active, which I assume helps their google ad
revenue a little.

[log in to unmask] wrote on 4/1/2007 6:11 PM:
> yeah i could roll my own. and i've done so using wget and curl from
> various free shell accts. but there are many free service available on
> the pornternet.  i'm wondering if anyone has used those.
>
> they have the advantage of geographically disbursed measurements
> without my overhead of having to manage several differnet accts,
> sometimes violating the shell provider TOS, etc, etc.  but having no
> experience with them, I'm wondering to what extent i can trust them.
>
> dan
>
> On 4/1/07, Eric Lavigne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> What you describe sounds like something that could be created from
>> scratch very easily (less than an hour's work for someone who knows
>> which libraries to use). When creating from scratch is easy enough,
>> the advantage of doing so is that you get exactly what you want,
>> rather than what someone in a similar situation wanted.
>>
>> I am imagining a little Python script:
>>
>> 1) Query the website once per five minutes, asking for some page of
>> interest. Check whether the full page is delivered (or whether there
>> is some error).
>>
>> 2) If one of these requests fails, switch to a higher alert level, in
>> which the program is now checking once per minute. If a full page is
>> delivered correctly, go back to step 1. If problem persists for five
>> minutes, go forward to step 3.
>>
>> 3) Send an SMS message to your cellphone.
>>
>> So you just need two libraries: one for requesting HTML pages
>> (probably part of the Python standard libraries) and one for sending
>> SMS messages (not sure about this one, but see the link below for some
>> hints).
>>
>> http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread22625.html
>>
>> On 4/1/07, Dan Trevino <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> > monitoring for outages. notifications of said outages.  i'm curious
>> > what it means to a website developer.

>> definition.

>> http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/94299/High_School_Star_Wars_Duel.html?rh=1488

>> How

>> junk

Cheers,

Bill Mercer - National Center for Construction Education and Research
3600 NW 43rd St
Gainesville, Florida  32606
http://www.nccer.org
Phone 352-334-0911 Fax 352-334-0932