On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:24 -0500, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> 	So, what you mean is that I *should* have a 6TB partition in that
> x86_64 box, but it is just that df is lying to me?
So far as I can tell. Kernel output is generally more trustworthy than userspace tools.

> 	Yeah, I was thinking on xfs, but you suggest jfs instead?  How come?
> Speed is not an issue as this machine is primarily to do backup to disk
> (before going to tape/tsm).
xfs has had some nasty bugs recently in the recovery tools. It was also designed
for the kind of machines that never have a power failure, so it doesn't cope as well
as other modern file systems even though it's journalled.

I've been using jfs for a few years and I've had no problems. It has a
maximum volume size of 2 Petabytes which should be sufficient.

> 	On a side note, should I put this entire mess inside a lvm partition?
Why not? ;)
With a volume that big you might as well. Probably best not to allocate
it all at once though.

--
Edward Allcutt <[log in to unmask]>