DVDs would not be bad for 60GB especially if you compact the file (ZIP it up) first. You can get 8GB DVDs if your DVD drive supports double layer. If you actually get a 50% reduction, that's only 4 disks! As for an external drive, any drive you have lying around can be put into an external USB box for the cost of the box, and again, if you compact the image, it can be smaller than 60GB. A 40 GB drive should do it, and you can get a 3.5" box for a 3.5" drive, but you will need to have a power source for it--a USB hub with a power supply should be okay.

Another solution would  be to put any old 2.5" drive into the laptop before submitting it for repair, and keep her drive out of the computer, then reinsert her drive post-repair, and everything should work just fine, right?

----- Original Message ----
From: Nick Stack <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2007 2:57:07 AM
Subject: Backup help

A friend needs to send her laptop in for warranty repairs and has asked me if I could back it up for her as the hard drive might be replaced or formatted. I told her that I'd look into the matter. I've been attempting to use Partimage and the SystemRescueCd from www.sysresccd.org but am having some difficulty with that over a network. My major problem seems to be correctly configuring both systems to use Partimage. Does anyone know of a good guide for doing this sort of thing or have suggestions for alternative tools? Its around 60GB of data (120GB total hd size), so I'm trying to avoid backing it up to CDs/ DVDs, but that is a possibility. The the data needing to be stored is in FAT and ntfs partitions. I'm close to recommending an external drive to place the backup on, but I know that she would like to avoid that expense.

Thanks

Nick

Bored stiff? Loosen up...