On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 00:39 +0200, Arthur Sherman wrote:
> I've 3GB RAM on my (hosting) server.
> When I last checked with 'free', I realised that it had some KB of swap
> used, while having >2GB of RAM unused:
[...]
> I assume that there has been a peak in usage.
> How do I check what app/site sucked the RAM?
Linux has a tendency to say "this page hasn't been used since forever,
it would be much better used as inode/dentry/whatever cache, to the swap
device with you!"

This is generally considered a good thing, and is the likely
explanation. I wouldn't worry about "peak" usage unless there's a good
few MB of swap used.

Ed.
--
Edward Allcutt <[log in to unmask]>