Teresa,

If "algebra" means being able to factor a polynomial, or add two rational
functions, or multiply two complex numbers, I agree with you -- these are
skills which many college majors do not need to master.  On the other hand,
I believe algebra also means things like:

(1) being able to model real-world situations and use those models to solve
(relatively simple) real-world problems
(2) being able to read, interpret and compare graphs

These "algebra topics" are useful skills for any educated person and I
believe we would be doing students a disservice by letting them complete
high school - let along college -without these skills.

To answer your question, at my school we have a 4 credit terminal course
(General Education Mathematics) for students who do not need **college**
algebra.  However, in order to enroll in Gen Ed Math, a student must attain
a certain score on the math placement exam or take developmental courses
which include basic and intermediate algebra.  This latter route probably
describes most of our students in this course.

Geoff Krader
Morton College
Cicero, IL