At UC Berkeley's Student Learning Center, we offer several courses
for credit that include a signficiant  learning to learn component.
http://slc.berkeley.edu/courses/index.htm
All of these are graded on a Pass/Not Pass basis. Most of the courses
are offered under the auspices of the School of Education, adjunct
courses  are offered by Math, Statistics and Sociology, but taught by
SLC staff.

I favor grading on a Pass/Not Pass basis in many respects. It takes
the pressure off students, and removing that incentive can help
students work from a motive of self-improvement and intrinsic
motivation which has positive results in terms of the depth and
quality of students' engagement.
Not having a grade attached makes it incumbent upon the instructor to
help students see the value of the course and developing their skills
as something worthwhile unto themselves. I do not reduce the
standards because the course is  P/NP; in fact, I've had students say
my two unit course is more challenging than their upper-division 3
unit courses in their major. The vast majority of those  who stay in
the class and fully engage in the assignments recognize the value and
I think most of those see that the value of the outcomes are directly
linked to the amount of time and effort they put into the course.
Now, how many students choose not to take the course because of the
amount of work and that they can't pad their GPA, I have no way of
knowing.

>We graded it that way because of timing. The CRN we were using was already
>set up for a pass/fail class.
>
>Other listers can weigh in, but there is actually more support for offering
>the class where the student earns both credit and a grade that is reflected
>in GPA. Students are more likely to treat it as a course that requires
>effort that way.
>
>Lisa

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center