The University of St Thomas (St Paul, MN) does require an algebra based
course for all students - Finite Math or Mathematical Sampler.

Interesting discussion on algebra but I fear we are not all clear on the
terminology. I doubt anyone would suggest that college students should not
be expected to know how to add or be able to graph a linear equation.

At Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra)>  you will see a long list of algebra
items including the basics of using symbols as place holders to solve
addition. X + 2 = 7 Students begin using a placeholder, often a line or a
box in the early elementary grades.

Straight lines come in middle school yet I know some of my Finite Math
students struggle with creating graphs. Compound interest is even more
difficult but yet shouldn't college grads understand that if you buy a fast
food meal by credit card and not pay off your balance it's no bargain.

If it is the ninth or higher order equations in some college algebra books
of which you refer when speaking of algebra, then I heartily concur. So
where are we? What level of algebra do you require?

--
Brenda Tiefenbruck
Director, Mathematics Resource Center (MaRC)