I have to agree with Kathy Van Wagoner. We do "need" math skills on a
regular basis, and even if we don't realize it, we are relying on those
skills to solve daily problems. Part of the "purpose" of math, any math, is
to help one learn to think logically, to separate the real issues from all
of the unnecessary fluff and to develop a sense of the world wherein
"things fit together".

I only wish that I took more math courses in my undergraduate years. Not
that I excelled in math, in fact I was pretty awful at it- but very little
was required in my BA in elementary education. When I was in college I
remember taking a course called "math for women". To help dispel our math
anxiety, we didn't use a textbook, we used brief topic related "source
books". I am not sure if that was a good thing, as my math skills are still
very weak. and it has taken me all of these years to realize that math is
about the 'thinking" as much as it is about the "numbers".

Roberta Schotka
NADE'08 conference co-chair
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax