Hi All,
Here's my two cents worth.

I think  we need  always to consider, when discussing  general
education college curriculum  courses and requirements,  that
resources and reasonable requirements will always be limited. A
justification can probably be put forward for far more subjects and
courses than any institution can or will require. Given the
limitations of resources we have to make choices about not what is
good or beneficial to learn, but what is more beneficial or better.
So, for me, the question needs to be posed something like: Is algebra
more worthy of being taught/learned than other courses/subjects?
Ideally, then, we would consider not only algebra but these other
potential subject areas, at a level of detail beyond their mere names
(e.g. "algebra"). I think we also need to examine beliefs and value
judgements about the benefits of particular courses. Many of these
questions then become empirical (not that I'm saying only empirical
questions are important or valuable).

For instance, claims have been made about the general benefits of
algebra courses to students' "logic" and "problem solving"
capabilities. That's a tangible outcome that can be assessed in some
way. Do we have evidence that teaching algebra to students does
indeed improve their performance in these areas; does algebra
instruction help students develop problem solving strategies that are
broadly transferable? ?For that matter, does teaching a critical
reading course improve students' critical thinking generally? Does
learning, for instance, chess, improve logic and problem solving
generally ? The answer to the last question, at least, appears to be
"no".

Another question, getting back to algebra, is whether students who
take and pass algebra courses ACTUALLY use it in the situations where
algebra COULD be used. The question as I would frame it isn't whether
algebra could be used, but whether it is, because we're not talking
about the value of algebra in the abstract, but the value of
students' taking algebra courses as opposed to some other course. So,
while some on the list used algebra in various situations, that does
not mean that most students do or would. The equivalent  on the
literacy/study strategies side of the issue is asking whether
students in study skills courses apply  what they've learned to their
subject-matter courses, not to mention when reading the newspaper.
For me, since this question takes us not only to what students learn,
but how they use their knowledge,  then we can't really discuss the
issue of whether algebra should be taught separately from the
question of HOW it is taught. That's because there's different ways
of knowing things, and these ways, in turn, are dependent on how
knowledge is acquired, which is a function--at least to some
extent--of the method of instruction.

Nic

--

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center
136 Cesar Chavez Student Center  #4260
Berkeley, CA 94720-4260

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

FALL 2006 OFFICE HOURS:
ED 98/198 Office Hours: T 3-4;  W 4-5
Drop-in Hours W 5-6; Th 1-3
Individual Appointments W 10-11; TH 6-8; F 3-4