Kate,
In preparation for teaching a Bridge course this past summer which
included a number of student athletes, I read Backboards and
blackboards. I  also included a couple of chapters from the book in
the course reader. I think it is very instructive in understanding
the experience of student athletes, especially the identity and
motivational dynamics of this group of students. I've pasted a
description below.

Backboards and Blackboards
College Athletes and Role Engulfment
Patricia A. Adler
ISBN: 0-231-07307-0
College basketball experienced its greatest rise in popularity during
the eighties, becoming one of the most commercially successful
spectator sports in America. With this rise came an era of scandal:
recruiting violations, spurious admittance practices, and
controversial treatment of student athletes. Within this guarded
context of scrutiny, allegations of improprieties, and media
celebrity, Patricia and Peter Adler penetrated the public front of a
top twenty basketball team. The result of their efforts, Backboards
and Blackboards: College Athletes and Role Engulfment, is a
compelling inside account of an exciting, intimidating, and glamorous
hidden arena.

Nic

>Hello All:
>

>I've just had 6-7 basketball players on academic probation placed into my
>developmental level study skills class for this semester.  Last minute but
>it's a new AD and his new tough academic policies, which I do support
>wholeheartedly.   Not all of the b'ball players are at the developmental
>level, although none of them are doing that well and a couple are right on
>the edge of being out.  At the moment there is only one actual DEV student
>in the class (a 40 yr. old woman reading at the 4th grade level with 6
>b'ball players.oy. )
>

>While I've taught the usual study skills and have a brand-new student
>success/fresh.exp. course beginning next fall, I've not really had any
>experience with athletes.  Since this is a make or break semester for all of
>them (no scholarship next year if grades aren't improved), I would *imagine*
>they'd attempt to do their best, but what do I know.  I do know there's been
>considerable attention paid lately to athletics and academics, many articles
>that I've read, and several publishers have materials and texts out there,
>but the class starts next week.
>

>I was hoping that some of you might have advice, suggestions, or ideas that
>I might implement that would grab their attention and keep it, and hopefully
>make the class worthwhile enough for them to take it seriously.
>

>Any advice?  And thank you all in advance.
>

>Kate
>
>Kate Jakobson, Director
>
>Tutoring and Student Success
>
>Kirtland Community College
>
>989.275.5000 x 211

>web browser to

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center
136 Cesar Chavez Student Center  #4260
Berkeley, CA 94720-4260

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

FALL 2006 OFFICE HOURS:
ED 98/198 Office Hours: T 3-4;  W 4-5
Drop-in Hours W 5-6; Th 1-3
Individual Appointments W 10-11; TH 6-8; F 3-4