Hi...

I have had a good experience with Ellis' Becoming A Master Student
Athlete.  I used it with a summer '06 session of our
CU-101 course specifically with freshman athletes.  CU-101 is our
Academic Success Center that addresses specific study
skills as well as learning styles and health issues that freshmen
endure in the transition to college.

Best regards,

At 01:37 PM 1/10/2007, you wrote:
>Kate,
>
>I have little experience in this specific area, but I did use Study
>Skills for College Athletes by Walter Pauk (1998)
>www.HHPublishing.com with a couple of athletes I met with weekly for
>a semester. One improved, but the other didn't. The coaches do
>organize their teams to help each other academically, and some
>athletes take advantage of our peer-led tutoring groups. Our
>college, however, is too small to have a formal academic support
>program just for athletes, like many large institutions do.
>
>Lots of success!
>Lois
>
>Lois Martin, M.S.
>Director, Academic Support Center
>Goshen College
>1700 South Main Street
>Goshen, IN 46526
>574-535-7576
>
>Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any
>attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may
>contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized
>review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are
>not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email
>and destroy all copies of the original message.
>
>At 12:27 PM 1/10/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hello All:
>>

>>I've just had 6-7 basketball players on academic probation placed into my
>>developmental level study skills class for this semester.  Last minute but
>>it's a new AD and his new tough academic policies, which I do support
>>wholeheartedly.   Not all of the b'ball players are at the developmental
>>level, although none of them are doing that well and a couple are right on
>>the edge of being out.  At the moment there is only one actual DEV student
>>in the class (a 40 yr. old woman reading at the 4th grade level with 6
>>b'ball players.oy. )
>>

>>While I've taught the usual study skills and have a brand-new student
>>success/fresh.exp. course beginning next fall, I've not really had any
>>experience with athletes.  Since this is a make or break semester for all of
>>them (no scholarship next year if grades aren't improved), I would *imagine*
>>they'd attempt to do their best, but what do I know.  I do know there's been
>>considerable attention paid lately to athletics and academics, many articles
>>that I've read, and several publishers have materials and texts out there,
>>but the class starts next week.
>>

>>I was hoping that some of you might have advice, suggestions, or ideas that
>>I might implement that would grab their attention and keep it, and hopefully
>>make the class worthwhile enough for them to take it seriously.
>>

>>Any advice?  And thank you all in advance.
>>

>>Kate
>>
>>Kate Jakobson, Director
>>
>>Tutoring and Student Success
>>
>>Kirtland Community College
>>
>>989.275.5000 x 211

>>web browser to
>>http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html

> [...]

Michael F. McLeod
Clemson University ' 74, M.S. 94
Coordinator of Tutoring Services; Instructor, CU-101,
Academic Success Center
3rd Level, Cooper Library
Clemson, SC 29634

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-----