I'd like to chime in here just to add my support for On Course materials
that are quite adaptable for specific populations. I've adapted some for
athletes that are academically deficient or on probation. I found that the
athletes preferred the active type of learning and were more engaged in
discussions after they experienced an activity. I believe it has something
to do with their learning styles tending to be more kinesthetic:)

I also want to mention that I recall the Master Student text series has
something for athletes which may provide some ideas for you. I believe it
has some profiles of other athletes and specific
suggestions/recommendations for the athlete needs.

Tammy Pratt, Director
Assessment and Learning Center
University of Oklahoma