330-941-2956

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn VanWagoner
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: student (dis)satisfaction

These kind of situations always remind me of the time my baby was in the
hospital and a resident or intern doctor erroneously decided we would be
going home that day.  He told the nurse to remove my baby's IV, then
later found out that he was wrong.  The IV had to be replaced.  Not a
fun thing for a 2 month old.  I had to remind myself that this
particular hospital (on a university campus) was a learning institution
and that it wasn't the end of the world.

In this kind of tutoring situation, I remind the student that we are at
a learning institution and that the tutor is also learning.  (I usually
share the story of my baby and it generally helps the complaining
student put his problem in perspective.)  I assure the student that I
will work closely with the tutor to clarify his/her misunderstandings.
I thank the student for his/her feedback because it is important that I
am made aware of such concerns.

It helps that we emphasize in the "message" we put out to the campus
that we are "guiding student learning" not giving answers.  We avoid
presenting ourselves as "experts" who always have the right answer.
That's not to say that we don't aim to always have the right answer. But
if we don't set ourselves on a very high pedestal, the fall is easier to
handle.

I do follow up with the tutor and verify the tutor's understanding of
concepts.

Kathy

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Math Lab Manager
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

ad-van-tage   n.  A factor conducive to success.

>>> "Robin Sakonyi" <[log in to unmask]> 1/31/2007 10:41 AM >>>
Hello, all.  I have a question regarding how you might handle the
following:

*	A student approaches the Tutorial Coordinator with a
comment/complaint that the tutor with whom he has been working gave
inaccurate information or answers to the his questions.  They had been
working on (physics) problems, and the answers derived by the tutor
were,
basically, wrong in comparison to the answers presented in the
subsequent
class by the professor.
*	Have you dealt with situations like this?
*	What direction did you take with the tutor?
*	What direction did you take with the student?

As always, looking forward to your feedback...

Robin

Robin Sakonyi
Coordinator, Center for Student Progress
Supplemental Instruction and Student Tutorial Services
Youngstown State University
330-941-2956

browser to

browser to