Hi Teresa et al.-

Not to hammer a dead issue, but I'd like to share some information about
what we do at Chandler-Gilbert Community College.  First, I am a full
time Learning Associate working in the Math and Science Learning
Center.  Here at CGCC we offer a sequence under the title "College
Mathematics".  In this course students will "gain working knowledge of
college-level mathematics and its applications to real-life problems.
Emphasis is on understanding mathematical concepts and their
applications.  Topics include set theory, probability, statistics,
finance and geometry."  A prerequisite of a passing grade in the
Intermediate Algebra class or satisfactory score on the ASSET test.
This course is appropriate for the student whose major does not require
college algebra or precalculus.  Because of the prerequisites, students
who take this course still have to master algebraic and critical
thinking skills prior to enrolling in this class.  This is the link to
the course description that outlines the course in more detail:
http://www.cgc.maricopa.edu/cgi-bin/curric.pl?crs=mat142.

Having taught both College Mathematics and College Algebra as a graduate
student, I find that this type of class gives students with a
non-mathematical mindset the opportunity to see concrete examples of how
math relates to their life.  For example, the section on finance is of
critical importance; teaching students how to think through the process
of buying a house or saving for retirement equips students with the
knowledge they'll most likely utilize immediately.  In a world where
these young adults are told not to plan on social security...teaching
them the way an annuity works, for example, is fundamental in showing
them how to secure their financial future.  You can not contest that
this is valuable information.  College mathematics doesn't "dumb down"
math or lower the standards.  On the contrary, it gives students the
opportunity to employ their stronger skills and refocus light on a
subject they formerly felt was unclear.  Learning takes place when a
student makes a connection between new information and information
already stored in their long term memory.  College mathematics gives
students the opportunity to take a mathematical idea and connect it with
something they feel confident about.

Further, as an instructor of this course you have an immense amount of
freedom to incorporate current events and critical reading and writing
skills, that you empower students to independently discover that
mathematics permeates many of their other areas of interest.  If we want
students to be equipped for a global market, we have to adapt our
curricula to match their needs.  If a student isn't going to need the
formal college algebra-precalculs-calculus track, lets give them the
math they'll need.  Plus, they get to learn things that those
traditional science track students don't, like the mathematics behind
the music scale, for example.  I never learned about that until I taught
the class.  I almost feel a little cheated that I didn't get to learn
about it earlier!!

I think a key to the success of this type of course is the support of
faculty who are all on the same page as far as the content and
competencies required.  Also, the supporting materials (textbook,
activities, projects, etc.) still need to maintain a mathematical
foundation and they must encourage students to think at a higher level.
There is definitely a risk of becoming too much fluff and not enough
real math.

Just a few tidbits about our course.  Hope you find it helpful.

Have a good day,
Theresa

Theresa Killebrew
Learning Associate