By the way.  I love art, music, poetry, even sentence diagraming (it's
kind of mathematical). I even enjoy archeology and physical science in
smaller doses.  It is quite possible that my general education provided
the opportunity for me to develop those interests.

In truth, it's all mathematical.  If you want to see how important math
really is, I recommend the PBS series Life by the Numbers and/or the
companion book for the series by Keith Devlin.  Just read the first
chapter.

Cheers!
Kathy

>>> "Laura Symons" <[log in to unmask]> 1/8/2007 11:03 AM >>>
Kathryn's response was so cool! Now here's a rationale for taking any
course in the curriculum:

In a world where change is the only constant, the one true survival
skill is the ability to adjust and adapt to the needs of the moment.
That skill requires flexibility of point of view and the ability to
apply different kinds of thinking in different situations.  College
courses provide a rich array of different ways of thinking.
Mathematicians approach the world very differently than anthropologists,
than historians, than artists, than writers and the list goes on through
the entire curriculum. Why take courses in subjects that are difficult?
To create new skills you probably would not go after on your own. To
learn more about yourself. To do something you don't like to do. To
learn to deal with fear, frustration, and may even anger in a relatively
low stakes setting.

Happy New Year, all!

Laura

Laura Symons

Coordinator of the Learning Center
Piedmont  Virginia Community College
501 College Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22902-7589

434 961 5310

*The people who believe that something can't be done should get out of
the way of the person doing it.*

Chinese Proverb