Deb,

We have no developmental reading courses at UNI.  All of our learning
assistance services are free of charge.

I have looked at some software, but there doesn't seem to be anything
better than one-on-one or small-group work with the students' own
academic texts.

Students are also advised to take our free, no-credit, four-week Speed
Reading course.  Most sections are taught by my Peer Instructors.  When
students prove to themselves they CAN get all their reading done, then
they're more likely to do it.  In the process of learning to read
faster, they also challenge some beliefs and assumptions about reading
assignments.

Karen