(856) 225-6443 fax

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Williams, Kathy
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 8:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Math for Liberal Arts Majors

Dear all - My final comment on what I think has been an interesting
discussion:

Teresa wrote: "I would like to clarify one thing:  I am by no means
proposing that standards should be lowered! Quantitative reasoning is
not necessarily easier than algebra. It is just more appropriate for
many people."

I would have to say that I was trying to get this same point across. I
am not calling for math standards to be lowered; I was only trying to
make the point in my somewhat inarticulate (obviously) way that
different students and majors have different math needs.

It would seem that my abilities as an advisor and academic skills
coordinator are being called into question on my campus, though, because
of my comments so I thought I would make this last final post and say
thanks for the discussion -- and avoid engaging in future listserv
discussions, for that matter. Now I must go through and make a copy of
every post I have made. The tedium. Have a good week everyone.

Kathy A. Williams, M.A.
Academic Skills Coordinator
Transition & University Services
Eastern Kentucky University