I really like this approach.  As a graduate from a program which
required all students to complete a BS degree even when it was in
English, I had to take many math and science classes which I have found
to be of limited use to me in my careers (20 years in the Air Force in
a technical field and 20 more years teaching at a research university).
  However, the concept of quantitative reasoning provides an entirely
different perspective.  One can gain that through numerous other
approaches than College Algebra or Calculus.  If, for example, I want
student to learn logical reasoning, I would recommend a course taught
by the Philosophy department called Logic rather than a math class
though, I agree, math does help one learn to be logical.

I hope we can pursue the questions in Brenda's e-mail rather than
getting bogged down in discussing specific math classes.

Ron

Ronald D. Illingworth
Professor
Interior-Aleutians Campus