Actually I probably meshed together two ideas in one sentence.  We've
done a couple of different things.  First we showed "statistics" from
student satisfaction surveys. It kind of bogged down the presentation.
Now we focus on learning outcomes.  We actually stay away from data
because it gets boring -- if they really want to see numbers they can
contact us.  We speak more generally about what tutoring does for
students.  We do cite a Boylan article that says something to the effect
that students who consistently interact with trained tutors have
increased GPAs and retention.  We make a big deal out of having a
nationally certified training program (CRLA).  That seems to really
impress them and give them more confidence in what we do.

Sorry to vague again.  It's the first week of the semester and I'm
goin' nuts.  Also, the presentation has morphed a number of times.

Kathy

>>> "beth kupper-herr" <[log in to unmask]> 1/10/2007 3:27 PM >>>
This sounds like an excellent presentation, Kathy.  What types of
"statistics in terms of learning outcomes" do you share?

       beth

> For our faculty presentation, we put together some information about
our
> structure and our programs, emphasizing that we serve all students,
all
> disciplines, all faculty.  We share some statistics in terms of
learning
> outcomes, and that we collectively serve 31% of the student
population.
> We talk about what tutoring is and what it is not, emphasizing that
we
> maintain high academic standards.  We let faculty know how they can
> support us and what we can do to support them.
>
> We adjust the presentation depending on the audience.  We want to
get
> to everyone on campus so everyone who talks to students will have
> accurate information.
>
> Kathy

> I would also be interested in this, so if you wouldn't mind posting
> any
> further information to the list, that'd be wonderful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kate
>
> Kate Jakobson, Director
> Tutoring and Student Success
> Kirtland Community College
> 989.275.5000 x 211

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Beth Kupper-Herr
Professor
Coordinator, Learning Resource Center
Leeward Community College