One of the most effective techniques I've seen, geared for this
audience, was when I was at the University of Akron.  Michael Morsches,
who was the director of developmental programs, did a series of
workshops JUST for the adult/reentry/returning students.  The workshops
were printed and distributed (targeted mailing) to the appropriate
audience and they contained specific information comparing the "18 year
old learner" to the "mature learner".  They were very well attended -
Saturdays, I believe. They included critical thinking, student
responsibility, applying Bloom's Taxonomy to the classroom, lecture note
taking, and test taking strategies. I attended those workshops and to
this day, I still incorporate much of what I learned in my study skills
classes and current workshops.  I strongly recommend workshops geared
for that population.
Mary

Mary Weller
Reading and Study Skills Instructor
Kellogg Community College
450 North Avenue
Battle Creek, MI  49017-3397
269-965-3931 X2286

>>> [log in to unmask] 1/12/2007 1:32 PM >>>
Wendy,

Maybe you could invite them to come share a strategy that has helped
them
thus far and take away a strategy that someone else "contributes'. this
way
they will approach the activity from a position of empowerment.

Roberta Schotka
NADE'08 conference co-chair
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax

browser to