-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Teresa Farnum
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 2:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Math for Liberal Arts Majors

Greetings,
I am trying to accumulate a list of institutions that have wisely
recognized that algebra is not a necessary requirement for numeracy and
solid quantitative reasoning skills.

If your general education requirement includes an option of "Mathematics
for Liberal Arts Majors" or some similar title, does NOT have a
prerequisite of algebra, and serves as the terminal math course for
non-science majors, I would appreciate hearing from you.

As a consultant working with colleges and universities to increase
student learning, success, and satisfaction with an expected goal of
increasing retention and graduation rates, it is clear to me--a former
professor of mathematics--that we, in this country, are doing an
incredible disservice to students who will not need algebra (which is
simply a tool for more advanced mathematical study).  It is appalling to
me the number of lives we impact negatively by requiring algebra of
liberal arts majors.

Please share success stories at your institutions.  Thank you!

Teresa
Teresa Farnum & Associates

Your Change Agent to Recruit and Graduate Students Denver, Colorado
Phone: 303-248-3011
Fax:     303-248-3549