(856) 225-6443 fax

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Teresa Farnum
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 2:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Math for Liberal Arts Majors

Greetings,
I am trying to accumulate a list of institutions that have wisely recognized
that algebra is not a necessary requirement for numeracy and solid
quantitative reasoning skills.

If your general education requirement includes an option of "Mathematics for
Liberal Arts Majors" or some similar title, does NOT have a prerequisite of
algebra, and serves as the terminal math course for non-science majors, I
would appreciate hearing from you.

As a consultant working with colleges and universities to increase student
learning, success, and satisfaction with an expected goal of increasing
retention and graduation rates, it is clear to me--a former professor of
mathematics--that we, in this country, are doing an incredible disservice to
students who will not need algebra (which is simply a tool for more advanced
mathematical study).  It is appalling to me the number of lives we impact
negatively by requiring algebra of liberal arts majors.

Please share success stories at your institutions.  Thank you!

Teresa
Teresa Farnum & Associates

Your Change Agent to Recruit and Graduate Students
Denver, Colorado
Phone: 303-248-3011
Fax:     303-248-3549

browser to