I have a couple of general questions related to this discussion thread:
What are the goals of developmental courses?  What are the important
student outcomes?

If the goal of the course is to provide students with the knowledge and
skill they need to succeed in higher level courses or to pass placement
tests, does the grade itself really matter?  It seems to me that grades
in these courses should serve as an additional reinforcer rather than a
punisher.  The punishment comes from not being able to progress and/or
not being able to participate in an additional activity.  If a student
meets the goal (for example passing the placement test), does it really
matter if he or she doesn't complete the course?  Also, if participation
in developmental courses is actually making the gpa worse (suggesting
that students are not meeting their goals), students may be less likely
to want to take the courses in the first place.

Just a thought...

Lisa G. Bischoff, Ph.D.
Director, Gervais Learning Center
Rockhurst University