Jan,
	The course came out of a grant-funded research project eleven
years ago.  Nursing faculty could see that students were coming into the
program with adequate ACT scores and HS grades, but then were already
struggling by the time they got into their sophomore level support
courses (Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry) and their
first clinical nursing courses.  A team of faculty and staff (I was
registrar at that time) wrote for and received a grant to do an
"intrusive" academic enhancement experiment at the freshman year. I had
a BA and a BSEd, a master's in curriculum and supervision, and had
taught every grade from 5th through 12th. All of our regular faculty
members were advanced-degree nurses, so I got to teach the course.
	I loved developing and teaching the course content, the students
loved it, and the results were so obvious we never finished the
report-and-publish part of the research--the College just had me develop
it into a one-hour course and they added "adjunct faculty" to my job
description. We put all the freshmen in the course, and the observed
results continued to be great.  A couple of years later I was made
full-time faculty. The president said it would be easier to find another
registrar than find someone who had the wide variety of background in
education that I do. FUN! I still teach the course, but also do
assessment testing with the follow-up meetings, contract learning
strategies with everyone on probation, and have about 400 individual
student appointments a year, mostly for intensively addressing elements
I teach to the freshmen in my course. I've developed a unique
test-taking strategy that has worked tremendousely that I want to test
elsewhere and publish, and now I'm working on my doctorate in teaching
and learning.
	Our college is changing the degree plan to have all the nursing
classes begin in the sophomore year instead of freshman year in '08F,
and in our planning meetings, there was never even a discussion of
dropping my course when they dropped the other freshman nursing courses
and moved the content from them up into higher levels, or of making it
not-for-credit--they just moved it to the sophomore year and kept it as
a "mandatory" elective. That was very gratifying. It's been a great
journey!
Linda Riggs Mayfield