-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ross, Faye
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Online placement testing

Dear List-ers --

As of now, we administer paper-based placement tests on campus.
However, a colleague of mine who is investigating online placement tests
asked me to pose the following questions to the LISTSERV:

How do other institutions deal with these two issues:

1.	Many students do not recognize that they may have a reading
deficiency and/or received adequate grades in high school, so they do
not think they need a reading course at the college level.  Our current
in-house placement test places a certain percentage of students into our
non-credit developmental reading course.  If we switch to Accuplacer or
Compass online testing, I wonder if students, who know they can waive
the course with a certain placement test cut-off score, will be tempted
to cheat on the exam in a no-proctoring situation on their uncontrolled
home computers.

2. A related question:  How do schools determine honesty in on-line
test-taking?  If they do not have a determination, why not?  Do they
have a back-up assessment to check placement?

Thanks in advance!

Faye Ross

Director, Learning and Advising Center
Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs