813-974-9281

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Zola Gordy
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Should Center Director be Faculty?

We're a multi-campus community college district, yet learning centers
are housed in the academic side on two campuses and in the student
development side on the other.  All learning centers have FT faculty
positions as learning center coordinators, regardless of which side of
the house they reside.  However, campus discretionary funding has
allowed much variation in staffing and budgets.  Our urban campus also
has a staff position for the learning center supervisor.  In addition to
my role as learning center coordinator I serve the campus as a Retention
Coordinator, reaching out beyond the activities of the learning center.

In spite of the talent one may possess as a leader in the learning
center, I believe these position must be that of a faculty member who
can participate and demonstrate expertise in a number of faculty
settings.

Zola K. Gordy, Retention Coordinator
Teaching/Learning Center
MCC - Penn Valley
3201 Southwest Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 759-4004

What better book can there be than the book of humanity?
--Cesar Chavez

>>> Christine Flax <[log in to unmask]> 1/31/2007 1:13 pm >>>
I am the Director of our tutoring center under the auspices of which
fall tutoring, SI, and a freshmen mentoring program.  I am also
FTfaculty.  My contract includes the aforementioned plus teaching 2
developmental reading courses a semester.  Hope this hleps.

Christine T. Flax
Asst. Professor of English Language & Literature
Director of PASS
Director of The Academic Link
Villa Julie College
1525 Greenspring Valley Road
Stevenson, MD 21153
443-334-2639

You may be surprised as to the response you would receive from
faculty; especially adjunct who are looking to become more permanent.
At least, the position should fall under your academic "house" and not

student services. This is a best practice that I have researched. You
will have more support from faculty and will more likely to find a
person with background in learning theory and pedagogy. It is not
uncommon for the directorship to a faculty position. I would push for
this. Good luck!

Cheri