From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Marjorie McKillop
Sent: Tue 1/2/2007 7:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: suggestions needed [7%]

Since libraries discourage noise (talking) and tutoring encourages it, sharing space could be problematic unless you have a completely separate area within the library.

>>> "Elisabeth Meyer" <[log in to unmask]> 12/19/2006 3:01 PM >>>
Hello Everyone,
Our Student Learning Center has been asked to relocate to the campus
Library in order to generate more foot traffic in the library.  We do
not wish to move, and I am asking all of you to help me make my argument
against the move.  Background:  Currently, the Student Learning Center
includes tutoring for math, writing, and  for specific classes.  Last
year we provided tutoring to 926 individuals on 4,648 occasions.  We
offer tutoring to students from all levels; however, most of our
business is with juniors and seniors.  We also conduct study skills
workshops each semester.  We are located in an ideal phyisical space,
with plenty of room for tables and chairs, two small rooms for small
group tutoring, individual offices for the director, the assistant
director, and the secretary, as well as a computer lab with 25
computers.  Our offices are situated in a way that allows us to view
the  tutoring and to be very visibly available.  Our Learning Center is
completely independent of any department.  We report directly to the
vice provost in Academic Affairs.  The director of the library wants to
move us to the library to generate traffic in his area.  The move would
seem to undermine our independence, our budget, etc.  Reporting
relationships would change, etc.  We have worked so hard to achieve the
independence, and the budget that we need to operate successfully.
Now I'm asking all of you for any suggestions that you might have in
terms of developing my argument against the move.  Can you think of any
articles or books that might address this issue, etc.  Thank you for any
help.
Please feel free to email me directly if you wish at [log in to unmask]
Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Elisabeth Meyer Gonzalez

--
Elisabeth Meyer Gonzalez