On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 03:19:55PM -0500, Valdis Krebs wrote:
> Been doing that for years, Bill...
>
> http://www.orgnet.com/booknet.html [1999!]
>

> On Dec 31, 2006, at 2:05 PM, Bill.Richards wrote:
> >An interesting approach to gathering network data?
> >
> >http://www.aggregateknowledge.com/index.html

While I think Bill was referring to a particular data collection method,
for those interested in principles and techniques I'd recommend [sic]
to start looking at the vast literature on "recommender systems," or
"collaborative filtering" as a variant was called in 1992.

An easy starter, cited several hundred times since, is

  Paul Resnick and Hal R. Varian
  Recommender systems
  Communications of the ACM 40(3):56-58, 1997
  ACM Press

Best regards,

B.

--
Prof. Dr. Ulrik Brandes
Department of Computer &      | +49 7531 88 4433 (phone)