Ulrich, et al.

Hal and Paul wrote their recommender systems article a long time ago, when
people were more positive and less cynical about manipulation of such
systems.* What's the latest research?

*Note that Hal may have been the only non-cynical economist;-)

Valdis Krebs is right: it's easy to spoof many systems.

The ones I have been wondering about are YouTube, where "favorites" always
seem to include atonal young teens: singing, or stripping or both. I may
be naive, but I cannot believe that "cutie costume" or "my chemical
romance on new year's eve"  -- both favorites at this moment -- really are
getting 100s, 1000s, and even tens of 1000s of votes.

Copying to the Communication & Info Tech section of the ASA, for their
interest and input.
 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php