All,
     I can't help but comment here.  Rapoport's work from the 1950's and
60's was the original impetus for my interest in social networks.  For all
of you who have joined the party since then, I strongly urge you to take a
look at his series of fundamental papers from that time period.  In some
ways, we are just now catching up to many of his insights...
Miller McPherson
Duke and Arizona

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Barry Wellman wrote:

> I've learned that Anataol Rapoport, one of our initial greats -- as a
> scholar and as a peron -- died in the past few days here in Toronto. As I
> obtain more info, I will post it, or feel free to do so yourself.
>
>  Barry Wellman
>
>   Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
>   Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>   455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>   wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>         for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

Miller McPherson                     *  *
Professor Emeritus of Sociology               ******