Jewlya
I have done many studies approved by our IRB at USC.  My experience is
that if you communicate the risks and benefits and treat the data with
care the protocol will be approved.  If widespread dissemination is a
concern you can always share the data (graphs and charts) at meetings on
a projector, but not disseminate on paper to the group.
-Tom

Jewlya Lynn wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I am conducting a network analysis on behalf of the staff and chairs of a
> large multi-disciplinary planning group.  The purpose of the analysis
> is to
> help the leadership of the group to understand how they can help build
> relationships and trust between members by strategically grouping them on
> different tasks.
>

> The leadership of the group will need to know not only the general
> network
> structure, but the specific names of individuals and where they exist
> in the
> network structure.  My institution requires an IRB process for any
> type of
> human subjects research and I'm very uncertain that they will approve a
> study that does not promise confidentiality to the participants.
> While the
> analysis including their names will not be widely available, it will be
> available to a minimum of three people, the clients.
>

> Has anyone else done an IRB with a similar lack of confidentiality?  What
> sort of informed consent did you use?  How did you convince the IRB to
> accept the study?
>

> Thank you for the help!
>

> Jewlya Lynn
>
> Colorado Institute of Public Policy
>
> Colorado State University

Evaluating Health Promotion Programs (Oxford U. Press):
http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0195141768.html

My personal webpage:
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~tvalente/

The Empirical Networks Project