Ryan,

	I made my point poorly.  I think this would be better: There is no one
thing that is Social Network Analysis, leaving it wide open for straw
man arguments.  Many of us are interested in philosophy, ethnography,
psychology and the theory underpinning our ideas of what is real.  I
have been reading Hayek, Isaiah Berlin (at Mark Granovetter's
suggestion), Saint Simon, Marx and others trying to understand the
history and arguments for atomic rational individualism.  I see networks
as an alternative description of individualism that fits the data
better.  For instance, Ivan Chase's work on hierarchies provides
empirical reasons to reject atomic rational individualism as a possible
explanation of hierarchies.  I consider this all to be subsumed under my
view of Social Network Analysis.  The implications go far beyond
classification.

-Don