Dear Ryan,

Do you really believe (like most STS scholars) that contexts are so
important? For example, can you discover from this message whether it was
written on a laptop or a desktop, on a PC or a Macintosh? If you would not
know, could you recognize my age or gender from it? No: this is STS rubbish.
(It enables them to legitimate the writing of thick histories.)

Contexts matter only if they are structural. For example,
university-industry relations may matter in pharmaceutical research or in
the food industry. But it would not matter in itself whether I had a brother
who was running a company. The crucial question is whether variation is
significant. If it is, we may be able to hypothesize structural factors.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/