From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Jewlya Lynn
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 8:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: IRB Approval

Hello all,

I am conducting a network analysis on behalf of the staff and chairs of a
large multi-disciplinary planning group.  The purpose of the analysis is to
help the leadership of the group to understand how they can help build
relationships and trust between members by strategically grouping them on
different tasks.

The leadership of the group will need to know not only the general network
structure, but the specific names of individuals and where they exist in the
network structure.  My institution requires an IRB process for any type of
human subjects research and I'm very uncertain that they will approve a
study that does not promise confidentiality to the participants.  While the
analysis including their names will not be widely available, it will be
available to a minimum of three people, the clients.

Has anyone else done an IRB with a similar lack of confidentiality?  What
sort of informed consent did you use?  How did you convince the IRB to
accept the study?

Thank you for the help!

Jewlya Lynn

Colorado Institute of Public Policy