Mark,

Birds of a feather flock together...  SNA 101.

That is why we get the clusters in buying behavior and the small-
world patterns we see in much of social network data.  Yes, Amazon
helps all the birds visiting their site by showing what other birds
are doing... does this "encourage" that behavior?  Does the aroma in
a restaurant encourage you to eat, or would you do that anyway?

Valdis