I have a paper coming out in Social Sciences Quarterly shortly that touches
on this.

We examine email and offline communications in voluntary neighborhood
associations.  When we compare centrality between online and offline
networks the correlation is relatively low, only .31. This finding suggests
that the advent of e-mail could be enabling some individuals to rise in
centrality within associations. However, e-mail communication does little to
alter the core of individuals who appear to control these neighborhood
councils. In 17 of 41 boards, the five most central actors are also the five
most central in the offline network, and in another 16 boards only one of
the five most central actors was not in the top five in the offline network.

The cite is:

Weare, C., N. Oztas, and W. Loges, (forthcoming) “Internet Effects On The
Cohesion And Democratic Character of Local Associations:  A Social Network
Analysis,”  Social Sciences Quarterly.

Christopher Weare
Research Associate Professor
School of Policy, Planning, and Development

VKC 371
University of Southern California

Los Angeles, CA 90089-0626

213-740-4690 voice