Hello All,

I am interested in looking at the implication of networks in efforts to
develop new scales of fisheries governance in New England. Scholars who
apply the concepts of 'Cultural Politics' and 'Localities' to understanding
natural resource struggles suggest that relational networks tie together the
multiple practices, processes and discourses that transform places and
people (Hugh Raffles 2002, Donald Moore 1998, Anna Tsing 2001). While these
are apt conceptual lens for investigating struggles by fishermen, NGO's and
others for greater participation in regional fisheries Councils, I have been
unable to find where these scholars have been able to show the substance of
the networks they describe. In the fisheries policy context I suspect that
such a network analysis would need to track relations along a number of
axis: ability to link with individuals and/or groups who understand and
control discourse, including the ability to frame history; access to savvy
political practices; ties to financial backing; multiple nodes of leadership
to persevere through years of complex political processes; links to broader
national and transnational fisheries governance discussions. I suspect that
a person or group who has more success linking particular types of
practices, processes and discourses will have a greater ability to achieve
their resource governance goals.  Suggestions of network analysis tools that
could assist in illuminating relational networks of practices, processes and
discourses would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Robert Snyder
PhD Candidate, Anthropology, York University

--
Rob Snyder
Vice President of Programs

207-594-9209x142