From: Social Networks Discussion Forum on behalf of Wolfgang Streibl
Sent: Mon 1/15/2007 1:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Opinion Leading in Online Communities

*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org <http://www.insna.org/>   *****

Dear members,

my name is Wolfgang Streibl and I am Student of the Johannes Kepler
University AUSTRIA. Due to my diploma thesis I came in contact with social
network analysis and furthermore with the INSNA group. My thesis is dealing
with opinion leading in online communities. The aim of my analysis is to
identify opinion leaders among these communities. Therefore I am using a
network approach to visualise the relation between the community members.
After that I will start with a qualitative text analysis to find out with
whom and about what these leaders are talking. So far so good.

The problem I have is about the issue of privacy and data protection. For my
text analysis I will need a lot of data out from the online forums. I am not
sure about the fact, if you can copy these data legal with regard to idea
that it is freely available or if you need permission of the community
members. My studies on existing literature according to this topic showed
that there is still a discussion about the public versus private status of
such online communities.

To sum up my problem, I am not sure about the way how I should collect my
data from the internet. Do I need permission for quoting? If there is anyone
who worked or is working on a similar topic I would be pleased to hear about
your opinions and experiences concerning privacy, data collection in online
environments. Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Wolfgang Streibl

Wolfgang Streibl

Student of the Johannes Kepler University Linz Austria

Assistant of the Institute for Retailing, Sales and Marketing

WWW: http://www.marketing.jku.at/e2887/index_eng.html

Contact: [log in to unmask]