All:

I've been doing a lot of birding of late, mostly in Collier County,
working on my Collier County Big Year. Recently, I had these birds of
note:

January 23, 2007 -- Hermit Thrush (near Southwest International
Airport in Lee County).

January 24, 2007:

Bronzed Cowbird -- two birds seen near the gazebo at Eagle Lakes
Community Park here in Naples.
Northern Flicker -- Eagle Lakes Community Park (where it is not common.)
A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks copulating on the "Handicapped Parking
Only" sign in the carpark (for all the Brits out there) at Eagle
Lakes Community Park.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird -- one female which has been present all
winter, coming to the Powderpuff Tree (Callandria sp.) at the
Southern Tree Farm, 10300 Laredo Street, Naples.
Sandhill Crane -- one bird at Fritchey Rd. Wetlands in Naples
Probable Yellow-headed Blackbird -- one immature(?) seen as a very
quick flyby in a mixed flock of Red-winged Blackbirds at the Ladybug
Farms on Greenway Rd. in Naples. Note: up to four YHBLs were seen in
this exact location a few years ago.
50+ Roseate Spoonbills (one tagged - sorry, couldn't make it out) --
along US RTE 41 (Tamiami Trail) between the Big Cypress Bend
Boardwalk and SR 29 on the southside of the highway. Also present
were most waders, American White Pelicans, Blue-winged Teal, Greater
Yellowlegs, a pair of adult Bald Eagles and flocks of Tree Swallows
among others.

January 25, 2007:

American Woodcock -- a first for Collier County for me. Thanks for
the heads-up from Mark Faherty (I owe you one Mark) and to Larry
Richardson, biologist at the Florida Panther N.W.R. for granting me
permission to access these normally off-limits-to-the-public lands.
At least 4-5 birds doing their courtship displays, including all
vocalizations like those on the CD - Stokes Field Guide To Bird
Songs: Eastern Region. I would venture to say that these birds are
breeding on the Florida Panther NWR. Awesome! And I didn't have to
drive all the way to Hernando County to witness this spectacle! Yeehaw!

Also seen well at the Florida Panther N.W.R. in the hour or so before
the rains came:

Wild Turkey -- two flocks of 7-8 individuals in each flock.
Warblers: Black-throated Green Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler,
Prairie Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Northern Parula, Palm
Warbler, Pine Warbler & Common Yellowthroat.
Brown-headed Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse, Great Crested Flycatcher,
White-eyed & Blue-headed Vireo, Eastern Phoebe, Ruby-crowned Kinglet,
House Wren, and hordes of American Robins with one flock of well over
500 birds.

My Collier County Big Year list now stands at 138 species as of
01/25/2007.

Cheers and good birding!

Vince

Vincent Lucas