We took our first trip to Cedar Key this afternoon.  The highlight was 6
Western Kingbirds at the airport, in one of the palms along the runway
(halfway down).  We stayed to watch a young pilot takeoff.  We also pulled
over on the causeway and observed a couple dozen American White Pelicans, 50
Black Skimmers, and 100+ American Oystercatchers.  Many of the usual winter
shorebirds were present on the exposed bars also.  Very nice place.

We were returning from seeing a friend in St. Petersburg, so yesterday
afternoon and this morning, we went to Ft. DeSoto.  Yesterday, the highlight
was a Peregrine Falcon, with good numbers of Skimmers and a Reddish Egret.
This morning, not many people were around, and the shorebird numbers were up
at North Beach.  Highlights were 6 Piping Plovers, 10 Wilson's Plovers, and
10 Short-billed Dowitchers.  Also, 1 Bald Eagle, 1 Sharp-shinned and Monk
Parakeets (a life bird for me).

Michael Hartley
Tallahassee, FL