Colleagues,

I would like to weigh in on the other side of this issue. As a career
administrator, with an undergraduate and graduate degree in education and
professional management training, I think that a non-faculty member can
bring a lot of objectivity, professionalism, and a "global" or holistic
perspective on students' academic support needs to the position of learning
center director. Faculty members may sometimes more easily get caught up in
the discipline -specific 'turf-wars" and departmental politics.

I will admit that it is more difficult to "win" the support of faculty, and
that having some classroom experience is very helpful, but building those
bridges across campus and among different constituencies is what effective
administrators are trained to do!

Roberta Schotka
NADE'08 conference co-chair
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax