David-Michael,
THere are a great number of issues I'd like to address in this
thread, but I just don't have the time right now. But, I thought I'd
take a moment to address the mistake in your analogy below. THe
relationship between "formal" and "informal" and "correct" and
"incorrect" is not one of euphemism to literal. The different sets of
terms emerge from different paradigmatic approaches to language.
Formal and informal are terms of art that have a relatively long
history in sociology. Sociologists, grounding their work in the
discipline of sociology, use the terms in a similar way  to
sociologists. Sociolinguistics is an empirical discipline, it
reflects a DESCRIPTIVE approach to language. The terms correct and
incorrect reflect a PRESCRIPTIVE approach to language. So the
relationship between these sets of terms is that of descriptive to
prescriptive. These terms are not different ways of saying the same
thing within the same approach, but rather they arise from different
approaches to language and say different things about language.
Best,
Nic

>Is Ruby Payne the person who employs the euphemisms "formal" and
>"informal" to replace "correct" and "incorrect" uasge.
>
>David-Michael

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center