Here's another book on language that might  be of interest to those
following this thread. I've also pasted below a description and a
review that was floating around the internet.
Best,
Nic

Language Myths
by Laurie Bauer (Editor), Peter Trudgill (Editor)
	*	ISBN-10: 0140260234
	*	ISBN-13: 978-0140260236
Editorial Reviews
Book Description
 From accents to politics, this fascinating collection of essays from
today's leading linguists uncovers the many misconceptions we hold
about language

"The media are ruining English"; "Some languages are harder than
others"; "Children can't speak or write properly anymore." Such
pieces of "cultural wisdom" are often expressed in newspapers and on
radio and television. Rarely is there a response from experts in the
fields of language and language development. In this book Laurie
Bauer and Peter Trudgill have invited nineteen respected linguists
from all over the world to address these "language myths"--showing
that they vary from the misconceived to the downright wrong. With
essays ranging from "Women Talk Too Much" and "In the Appalachians
They Speak Like Shakespeare" to "Italian Is Beautiful, German Is
Ugly" and "They Speak Really Bad English Down South and in New York
City," Language Myths is a collection that is wide-ranging,
entertaining, and authoritative.

About the Author
Laurie Bauer is a Reader in Linguistics at Victoria University of
Wellington, New Zealand, and the author of many books and articles on
word formation, international varieties of English, and language
change in current English. Peter Trudgill is Professor of English
Language and Linguistics at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
He is the author of several books on dialect and on language and
society.

LAURIE BAUER and PETER TRUDGILL, eds. Language Myths. New York:
Penguin Putnam Inc., 1998. 189 pp.

This book, comprising contributions from highly qualified
contributors in linguistics, explores some of the more infamous myths
associated with language today. Each article brings to light some of
the most outrageous assumptions about language, and attempts to
explain the roots of these misconceptions.
Dennis R. Preston's 'They Speak Really Bad English Down South and in
New York City' and Walt Wolfram's 'Black Children are Verbally
Deprived' deal with sociolinguistic issues.  Conceptions relating to
syntax are discussed in Lars-Gunnar Anderson's 'Some Languages are
Harder than Others,' and Winifred Bauer's 'Some Languages Have No
Grammar.' Anderson discusses inflectional and derivational morphology
and claims that some languages really are more difficult than others
- the claim being that the grammar of analytic languages is more
easily grasped than that of synthetic languages.
             Peter Trudgill's  'The Meanings of Words Should Not be
Allowed to Vary or Change,' and J.K. Chambers 'TV Makes People Sound
the Same' focus on historical linguistics.  The latter essay shows
how television is perceived to be a source of language change, but
that sound or grammatical change cannot be so explained.  C notes
that if such credit were to be given to the role television plays in
society, it could be thanked for the vast expansion of lexical terms
it introduces and reinforces.
             Finally, 'Double Negatives are Illogical' by Jenny
Cheshire and 'You Shouldn't Say 'It is Me' because 'Me' is
Accusative' by Laurie Bauer explore the relationship between Latin
and English and the rules of logic imposed on English by
prescriptivists.  the former article mentioned takes up the notion
that two negatives placed in a sentence cancel each other out,
thereby creating an affirmative.  Bauer's article raises the question
as to why English reflects the grammar of Latin;  clearly, when left
alone to generate its own rules, English is comprehensible to
speakers and writers. A more important point is Bauer's example of
the French c'est moi, literally "that is me" and the impossibility of
*c'est je "that is I," since je can occur only as a subject.  B
points out that if French, of a genetically closer relationship to
Latin than English, has not retained this point of Latin grammar, why
should English assume it?  Bauer's insights, those of the
aforementioned contributors, make for enjoyable and thought-provoking
reading.
Nadia Balkar
California State University, Fullerton

--

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center