Similar to Black English, Hawaiian Creole English (HCE -- popularly known as
"Hawaiian pidgin") is also a low-status language.  (It is, in fact,
linguistically distinct from English and has its own grammatical structure
and intonation pattern.)  Generations of native speakers of HCE have
referred to their language as "broken English", and it is regarded by many
-- including many employers -- as less desirable or acceptable than standard
American English.  For many native HCE speakers, the adaptive solution has
been to learn standard English and to "code-switch" between the two
languages as appropriate to the situation.  I believe it's possible for
people to do this as a practical strategy without feeling like they are
inferior.  I also agree with Nic that a dualistic view of language is not
productive.

   beth

Beth Kupper-Herr
Professor