My title: Tutor Coordinator in the Office of Student Academic Services
I am an "Administrator with Faculty Status."  It's not a perfect label, but
better than w/o faculty status.

The argument, when it was made, was that I am very involved in curricular
matters and must have excellent knowledge of the curriculum; I also communicate
with faculty on a level that requires us to "hear"/ respect each other.  W/in
our office we have every type of position imaginable: faculty, administrators
w/ faculty status, administrators, and staff.  It's awkward, but it's evolving
for the better.  jbh

Janice Heerspink
Tutor Coordinator and Academic Counselor
Student Academic Services
Calvin College
Grand Rapids, Michigan
616-526-6073

>>> Christine Flax <[log in to unmask]> 1/31/2007 2:13 PM >>>
I am the Director of our tutoring center under the auspices of which
fall tutoring, SI, and a freshmen mentoring program.  I am also
FTfaculty.  My contract includes the aforementioned plus teaching 2
developmental reading courses a semester.  Hope this hleps.

Christine T. Flax
Asst. Professor of English Language & Literature
Director of PASS
Director of The Academic Link
Villa Julie College
1525 Greenspring Valley Road
Stevenson, MD 21153
443-334-2639

You may be surprised as to the response you would receive from
faculty; especially adjunct who are looking to become more permanent.
At least, the position should fall under your academic "house" and not

student services. This is a best practice that I have researched. You
will have more support from faculty and will more likely to find a
person with background in learning theory and pedagogy. It is not
uncommon for the directorship to a faculty position. I would push for
this. Good luck!

Cheri