The Educational Testing Service on Monday released a report warning of
"powerful sociological and economical forces" that relate to education and
could limit the future economic growth of the United States.
<http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc392150
9/?vgnextoid=e9f3d944c8b70110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchannel=f993d944
c8b70110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD> "America's Perfect Storm: Three Forces
Changing Our Nation's Future" focuses on disparities in skill levels,
"seismic" economic changes, and "sweeping" demographic shifts. The report
finds that education form is stalled and urges a new commitment to improving
education at all levels.

Source: http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/02/06/qt

America's Perfect Storm

Our nation is in the midst of a perfect storm, according to ETS researchers
- and the forecast is grim - unless we invest in policies that will change
our perilous course.

A report from ETS's Policy Information Center, America's Perfect Storm:
Three Forces Changing Our Nation's Future, looks at the convergence of three
powerful sociological and economical forces that are changing our nation's
future:

*       substantial disparities in skill levels (reading and math)

*       seismic economic changes (widening wage gaps)

*       sweeping demographic shifts (less education, lower skills)

There is little chance that economic opportunities will improve among key
segments of our population if we follow our current path. To date,
educational reform has not been sufficient to solve the problem. National
test results show no evidence of improvement over the last 20 years. Scores
are flat and achievement gaps persist. Hope for a better life - with decent
jobs and livable wages - will vanish unless we act now.

We must raise our learning levels, increase our reading and math skills and
narrow the existing achievement gaps, or these forces will turn the American
Dream into an American Tragedy - putting our nation at risk.

For more information on this topic, see:

*       PDF Full Report
<http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/pdf/AmericasPerfectStorm.pdf>

*       PDF Executive Summary
<http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/pdf/ExecSummAmPerfectStorm.pdf>

*       Press Release

PDF English <http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/pdf/APS_release.pdf>

PDF Spanish
<http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/pdf/APS_release_spanish.pdf>

*       PowerPoint Presentation
<http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/ppt/4112_APS_Presentn.ppt>

Source:
http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc3921509
/?vgnextoid=e9f3d944c8b70110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD
<http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.1488512ecfd5b8849a77b13bc392150
9/?vgnextoid=e9f3d944c8b70110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchannel=f993d944
c8b70110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD>
&vgnextchannel=f993d944c8b70110VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

Full report 34 pages:
http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/pdf/AmericasPerfectStorm.pdf

Executive Summary 6 pages:

http://www.ets.org/Media/Education_Topics/pdf/ExecSummAmPerfectStorm.pdf