Hello Everyone,

I posted my original call for help right before the weekend, so I'm sure
it got lost in the shuffle. But I would greatly appreciate input on the
following:

--When is the best time to assess students for placement into
remedial/developmental programs?

--Are your remedial/developmental classes part of a student's degree plan?

--Do you know of a completely online assessment exam? (i.e. one *not*
given in a proctored test setting).

I have researched some "answers" on these 3 topics, but I really need to
hear first-hand from those in the field as well.

As Dept. Chair of a new remedial/developmental department, I have the
opportunity to expand our current course offering from one (!) class to
potentially several unique classes focusing on subject matter.  We now
only offer 1 course (a hybrid math/writing course that's 10 weeks long)
to students failing either their math or writing assessments upon
enrollment -- (long story why, several program features were finalized
before I came onboard). And we've only been offering this course since
April 2006, so it's a relatively new program.

Again, I appreciate any insights you could share on these ideas. My goal
is to create the best curriculum and program possible for our students
to succeed, not only in their degree plans, but later in life as well.

Thanks so much,
~Marla

--
Marla Cartwright
Academic Chair, Department of Student Success